Thursday 19 November 2009

Photogs

It always feels better to write stuff down, and publishing it is like transferring those worries from my brain so I don't have to think about them anymore... but I resisted another introspective post about myself. Here are some photos instead:




That last photo makes me think of the wood spirits in Princess Mononoke (image above) - geeky yes, but since I've been to Japan I've understood how those films really do draw on old images of the Japanese landscape, from woodcuts by Hokusai and Hiroshige, and from the beautiful mountains and trees themselves. The mystical atmosphere that the film evokes is really tangible in Japan, where people's concepts of the spiritual and divine are present in everyday life. These little statues were just on the side of a road by a hedge.

No comments: