Friday 5 December 2008

Animated

I like to imagine myself in different places as I listen to music in bed - I think most of my music fits with living inside a stop motion animation like this. Like I'm made of paper and my bed is like origami and my room unfolds from within itself, with tumbling paper staircases unraveling upwards in spirals that unwind from the floorboards... but my bed is pulled free by stop-motion slowly-flapping birds that make no noise except the rustle of paper.

--- 9/12/08 --- Oliver Postgate died yesterday, the creator of childhood programmes such as Bagpuss, The Clangers, Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine... all of which I watched and loved. I can still watch them now and marvel at his creativity and how carefully, lovingly and beautifully each animation is made. His voice narrated my childhood. The stars will always to me be made out of nuts and bolts, I will always check slippers for families of mice and trains will always sound like "ppst-koff".

No comments: